Moisture, it seems, had made its way into the tile and had forced it to expand. The awful noise we heard was the tile pressing against each other and pulling off of the floor underneath. Kate and I spent yesterday afternoon trying to remove the old tile without breaking it. Actually, it was just me at first, but Kate and Isaac were determined to help. Somehow I got the short end of the stick with tool selection for the job.
Eventually, we got all the loose tiles off the ground and I have spent some time today trying to remove the old cement from where the tile once sat. Removing old cement with a chisel and a hammer is long work to say the least! I'll probably spend the next week pounding away at it until it is all clear and ready for fresh tile. Until then, we will be living with the rough patch in our bedroom that Isaac keeps pointing at almost as if to say "Jeez Dad look at that. You should fix that Dad." He's a good motivator to say the least.
That being said, it has been a relatively quiet couple of weeks working with teams on base. We just welcomed and said goodbye to a team of architects from 100 Fold Studios out of Montana. They were here working on a master plan of the property that YWAM owns in the village of Timonette. We currently have a church and a house for the pastor on the property, but the property is a couple of acres and can accommodate much more than that. They flew in on Monday afternoon and left Friday, so that didn't give them much time to work. They visited the site and got to work on designing some alternatives. I'm very glad that the map I had put together for them a few weeks back was helpful to them as a starting point.
For the past couple weeks I have been helping to build a new room for our campus generator. Since Terry and the pastor handled most everything for the team, I continued to help build the room. The room uses cut up truck frames to support trusses that hold the roof. We have the frames standing up and are currently working on the trusses!